Direct mail continues to work for those companies who do it right. The mailing list, the creative, and the offer are the "Big 3" you need to get right.
It's not easy to create direct mail copy that works. We can learn by trial and error or we can simply go with what works.
These tips will help you trim your copy and make it more effective.
- Know your objective and have a clear call to action for the reader (e.g. Call 1-800-XXX-XXXX today…or Order today for your Free Gift).
- Always include a P.S. Many people read the P.S. first, so don't waste it. It always lifts response.
- Create a sense of urgency.
- Read your copy out loud and get rid of all the extra words that you don't use when you talk. "That" is the most overused word – it can almost always be eliminated.
- It's OK to start a sentence with "and" or "but."
- Keep sentences short.
- Use bullets with active words. We've all learned to skim. Make it easy for your reader to read & understand your message and act on it quickly